Saturday, February 7, 2009

Something to think about

Something to think about from Samaritan Revival

As we prepare for our new album, I have been searching for a special song for
Stephany. I wanted something that would send a special message out to people who were discouraged and maybe they were in a season of doubt in their life. I found the song "I know you are there". This song really touched me because it tells me that God loves us and He is not going to forsake His children.

Here are the words

If all I had was one last breath

I'd spend it just to sing Your praise

Just to say Your name

If all I had was one last prayer

I'd pray it 'cause I know You're always listening

If I could live a thousand lives, bind the hands of time

I would spend every moment by Your side


'cause I, I know You're there, I know You see me

You're the air I breathe

You are the ground beneath me

I know You're there, I know You hear me

I can find You anywhere


If all I had was one more song to sing

I would raise my voice to make the heavens ring

If all I had was one last chance, I'd take it

I would stake it all on You


If I could raise up high and catch a glimpse of every eye

I would make them believe

What I feel inside


If I could live a thousand lives and bind the hands of time

If I could rise up high and catch a glimpse of every eye


I know You're there

I know You're there

I know You're there, You're there


We probably all know that God says He’s always with us and He’s always listening to
us. We know that’s true because of verses like: “I am with you always” (Matthew28:20); “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5); But at the same time, all of us have probably had times with God when all of those verses felt like nice—but empty—thoughts. So what do we do when the truth doesn’t feel true?
God gives us both emotions and knowledge of the truth of His Word. When we don’t feel like God is there, we need to rely on what we know to be true: that He really is. When our feelings contradict God’s truth, they always need to be overridden by what we know. We have to make a conscious choice to believe what’s true instead of relying on our feelings.

It’s tough to wrestle that out. It’s easier to trust your feelings, stop talking with God, and walk away. But when you grapple with it, you’re saying to God: “I’m going to stick with You no matter how I feel because we’re in a committed relationship.” That’s living out true, real love. It’s commitment based on gut-level dedication, and God will honor that.

So how do we override our feelings with the truth? We’ll shoot straight here: Sometimes it’s just a flat-out choice. There’s no magic formula or any process to walk through. It’s just mentally deciding, “God, I know You’re here. I don’t feel like You’re here, but You say You are, and I choose to believe that’s true, and I’m going to act on it and spend time with You.” Your feelings that day may never swing in line with the truth. Sometimes you just have to move forward. You have to hang on to the truth, remind yourself of it, and find the backup you need to support it. The backup is in the Bible. When you’re feeling like God’s not there, the Psalms are a great place to visit

There will be times when you feel like God isn’t near. It’s part of living in a fallen world. But when you spend time with God without feeling His presence, your actions will prove that your commitment to God is rooted in something much more solid than emotions. It’s rooted in love.

Philip Tyson
philip@samaritanrevival.com
www.samaritanrevival.com


P.S. We still have a few more dates open if you would like Samaritan Revival to visit your church.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Uncharted Territory