Monday, February 9, 2009

What do we really sing and Why?

You know, I was uploading some songs and as I was listening, the strangest thought came to my mind. What kind of music do we really sing? There is Gospel, Southern Gospel, Praise, Worship etc. but I don't think that spanish southern gospel is listed anywhere on the internet.

What in the world is spanish southern gospel? I have not quiet figured that out yet but here is what I do know.

We love to sing music that stirs our heart. We love to sing music that will touch the people who are listening. We love to sing music that carries a message of repentance and salvation. We love music that will bring tears to someone's eyes and make them weep with joy. And finally, we love to sing music that brings us closer to our savior Jesus Christ.

You know what is so wonderful? This may come to a surprise to many people but God is bi-lingual or let me say multi-lingual. He understands all languages and no matter what color your skin is or what country you were born in, Jesus loves you just the same.

Aaron, Eliu and Harold were born in Nicaragua during communism. Their mother had to hide them in the mountains when they were only 14 because the communist army was recruiting everyone over 13 into the army to fight in the civil war. They were Christians and they had no other choice but to flee. She marched over the mountains for days with no food or water until she reached Honduras. My parents were missionaries and they took these boys and put them in school. Never in our imagination did we think that God had given them a great talent to sing but God already knew their future.

The Bible says "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

When I put the group together, I asked the guys and my daughter what type of music do you want to sing. Their response was "Whatever brings more people to a saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."

So I guess the answer to the question of what type of music we sing is "WE SING THE GOSPEL"

Philip Tyson
Samaritan Revival
www.samaritanrevival.com
www.myspace.com/samaritanrevival

No comments:

Popular Posts

Uncharted Territory