Monday, November 17, 2008

Anxiety and Fear or Hell and Heaven?

If you turn on your TV and start switching thru an endless amount of channels that we have today, you see many christian tv stations from all over the U.S. There is the God channel, the Church Channel, Gospel Channel, TBN, Word Channel, and many more that I cannot remember. What is true is that there are many Tv channels with a christian label.

As I was switching from channel to channel, I heard a few minutes of several sermons that was being preached and something really came to a reality in that moment for me. No one was preaching about hell. No one was preaching about sin. Every single sermon that I heard was about how to get rid of anxiety, fear, stress or sadness. Many were just talking about how to improve your finances. I am sure that there are many TV preachers that do preach about redemption and salvation but on this day, I heard none at all.

I know that it is important for Christians to be able to overcome many situations in their life like anxiety and fear. This is very very important but when does this message become old. What if all you heard sunday after sunday was this type of sermon. Here was the catch. After each sermon that I heard, the preacher would say "If you really want to know how to overcome these things, BUY MY BOOK".

I dont judge others. I am nobody to criticize anyone so I am not going to. I just want to say that when I was in sin, I needed a message that touched my heart in away that I cannot explain. I needed a message that scared me and convicted me and let me know that I was a sinner and that Jesus was the only hope for my life. A message that the Holy Spirit could use to put me under conviction. I do want to know that God can take care of my physical needs but we have to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the power that God has to bring us out of this dark sinful world. We have to preach that Jesus died on the cross for us, he shed His blood so that we could have the opportunity to be saved, to be born again.

Living in this human body causes us to inherit many sicknesses. We have nerves that run through our human body that sometimes go out of whack and causes us to have enormous fear and anxiety. We have organs that after a while will stop working and will cause us to suffer. We have a brain that after a certain amount of time, will stop learning and start forgetting. But we have a soul that will last for eternity and if we give our life to Jesus, we will live in a mansion that Jesus has built for us in heaven.

I thank the preachers who worry and try to help our physical needs but this should always and I mean always be secondary to the Great Commission that says to Go INTO ALL THE WORLD AND PREACH THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST.

Philip Tyson

No comments:

Popular Posts

Uncharted Territory